Sunday, April 13, 2008

Go Find My Apron

Hey that last post worked really well, making other people do my work for me. I'm going to try your recipes - Matt's looked especially good but I'm going to wait until I have the Crowleys over to dinner in Virginia to try that one.

So here's the next challenge I need your help with: the perfect apron. Give me a break, this is the kind of thing that matters in my life right now. I seem to be a messy cook because I definitely require a full apron to save my clothes from ruin, though sometimes even that's not enough. I've got a couple but they all hang around the neck and tie around the waist. I also like a pocket to put my ipod in, or toys off the floor that need to be taken to another room or whatever. But then it hangs heavy on my neck and annoys me. So I'm looking for a good bib apron that goes over the shoulders and not around the neck, 50's homemaker style like these:

I did a quick Google search for vintage aprons but haven't found what I'm looking for. It doesn't have to be just like the picture with the miniscule waist and fluffy skirt - I'm a little more straight in the figure to put it delicately. The main thing is the shoulder straps, and cool or vintage fabrics are a plus. Certainly 5 to 10 people searching the internet is better than one. So go find those cool sites or Etsy sellers and find my apron (...please...)

10 comments:

Shells said...

Hey, JustKaty posted a link to cool aprons on her blog once. I can't remember if there were any bib aprons, but there were links (if memory serves me right) so I would start there. It almost made me want to get some new ones.

Dan Cummings said...

I remember the post by JustKaty as well, but I couldn't find it when I looked. I'm sure it's there somewhere, but she'll probably provide it before long...

Here is one I found in a quick search...

http://www.stitchthrutime.com/apron.html

Then from this blog (http://apronaday.blogspot.com/ who knew?) I found this Etsy seller:

Momo’s Retro Fashions:
http://www.etsy.com/shop.php?user_id=100812

Best of luck!
-Dan, who is having reflux or something similar and can't get to sleep...

Lyf2.0 said...

Dude... you can have just Matt over for dinner if you are serving his suggestion...

Unknown said...

I live with two costumers. If you can wait until you get down here, I can force them to make you an apron because I am larger than one of them. And they are married, so the larger one will do my bidding while the smaller one is being squished. She is getting stronger now though, so we'd have to make it quick.

Mia said...

Have you visited http://apronista.blogspot.com/ on the sidebar they have a list of places to buy aprons. Some are of the vintage variety some are more modern. I know they have a company on there that has that exact apron because I had it bookmarked for the longest time, but of course I deleted that bookmark some time last month ugh. ok found it... http://www.bellapamella.com/products/index.php
I have a utilitarian apron from Target that is a must but I also have a cute hostess apron for that some day soon when we actually have a friend over for dinner :)

Lindsay said...

I remember seeing some really cool aprons highlighted at designmom.com. If you went to her site and did a search on aprons, you'd probably come up with loads of cool options.

Gosh, now you've got me wanting a cool apron. :)

Sally DeFord said...

I love reading your blog. You are so fun and intelligent and spunky. I miss you. I've been into aprons lately. I'm just finishing my first attempt at making one. I'll email you some pictures of vintage ones I like.

Matthew said...

One way to not get your clothes dirty when you are cooking is not to wear any. Though I suppose at least your oldest is big enough to have some questions about that.

Geary said...

If you can't find what you are looking for, I will make one for you. It won't be all that pretty, but it will be VERY sturdy!

Calvin Siry said...

Thanks for sharing this valuable blog, If anyone looking to buy high quality aprons at very affordable rates, they can surely come to plastic apron in my recommendation, they are the best in the business.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...