Wednesday, November 09, 2011

Slow-Cooker Coconut & Green Curry Pork

  Last spring my friend emailed a bunch of us about spring break coming up.  She set up a bunch of day-outings for us all to join her on, and included a call for crockpot recipes so we could all have dinner waiting when we got home.  One response was this recipe.  

I was so excited to try it; I've always loved Indian curries but I'm relatively new to Thai coconut-type curries.  But what I've had, I've loved.  So I was stoked to try one.  And in the slow cooker!  So lucky!

I made this a couple Sundays ago, to cook while we were at church, and greet us on our homecoming.  It was mouthwateringly fragrant and so satisfying served over hot rice, with a sprinkle of cilantro.  I ate more than I should have, devouring faster than I could register that I was full.  It was that good.

A word about green curry paste.  I'd never used it so I was worried it might be hot; it's not - it's quite mild in this recipe so if you want more heat you'll have to add it.  Great for kids.  Also, I bought a little fancy jar of it at my grocery store for $4.  In the future I'll hit an Asian market - we have so many here! - where I can get it much cheaper, and probably more authentic.  Thekitchn recommends Maesri brand, it comes in a can the size of canned tuna.

Slow Cooker Coconut & Green Curry Pork (print recipe)

serves 6 to 8
Between 2 and 3 pounds pork butt or pork shoulder
Kosher salt and freshly-ground black pepper
2 pounds small red potatoes, scrubbed and cut into fourths
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 can Thai green curry paste (4 ounces)
1 can coconut milk (14-15 ounces)
Chopped cilantro or chives, to serve (optional)
Toasted unsweetened coconut, to serve (optional)

1.  Heat the broiler. Cut the pork into four pieces and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper. Place on a large baking sheet and broil, turning once, for 15 to 20 minutes or until well-browned.

2.  Spread the cut potatoes in the insert of a slow cooker. Sprinkle them lightly with salt and pepper.
While the pork is browning in the oven, fry the curry paste. In a large skillet heat the vegetable oil over medium-high heat. When it is hot, add the curry paste and fry for about 3 to 5 minutes or until the paste smells aromatic and has begun to absorb the oil. Whisk in the coconut milk and cook for another few minutes, or until the coconut milk begins to bubble.

3.  Take the browned pork out of the oven and drain away any liquid fat. Arrange the pork in the slow cooker with the potatoes, and pour the hot green curry and coconut milk mixture over it.

4.  Cook for 6 to 8 hours on LOW. At the end of cooking shred the pork with two forks; it should be meltingly-tender. (Depending on how much fat is released from the pork, the curry sauce will not look thick and creamy; it will probably be thin.)

5.  Taste and season if necessary with salt or soy sauce. Serve with brown rice, and small bowls of chopped cilantro or chives and toasted unsweetened coconut.

Recipe from Faith Durand on thekitchn.com

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...