Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Enchilada Crockpot Casserole

I got this recipe from my sister Tona almost 4 years ago and when I came across it in one of my recipe binders I realized I'd never tried it! It looked sooooo good and the perfect thing to make on Sunday while at church. On fast Sunday, even better. Oh, and it was. It was the perfect yummy combination of flavors and totally easy to make from stuff on hand - the only fresh ingredients are scallions and cilantro; everything else you can just stock and make this whenever.

Anyone who, like me, is constantly in search of easy, delicious, interesting, successful, original slow cooker recipes knows that they're actually hard to come by. Lots of recipes out there, but not that many of them are easy AND good. Which is why this one is worth its weight in cornbread.

The whole bottom part is Core but of course the corn bread and cheese topping is not. But when it's the only meal you're eating that day, hey, eat up. I've been working on portion control at mealtimes but with this I ate way past my limit. And it was worth every bite.3 T or 1 small can diced green chiles, divided
1/2 cup of your favorite salsa
3 to 4 chopped scallions
1/2 cup chopped fresh cilantro
2 cups shredded cooked chicken (or omit for vegetarian)
1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
1 can corn with red & green peppers, drained (or 1 1/2 cup frozen)
1 (10 oz.) can enchilada sauce

1/2 cup egg substitute (or 2 eggs)
1 (8.5 oz) package corn muffin mix
2 T chopped roaste red bell pepper
1 1/2 cups (6 oz) shredded Mexican cheese
for garnish - sour cream, more sliced cilantro

1. Place half the chiles and the rest of the ingredients through enchilada sauce into the cooker; stir well. Cover with lid and cook on LOW for 4 hours.

2. Combine the rest of the chiles, corn muffin mix, egg substitute, and chopped red pepper in a bowl. Spoon batter evenly over the bean mixture in the cooker. Cover and cook 1 hour until the crust is done.

3. Sprinkle the cheese over the corn bread, turn off the crockpot and let it sit 5 minutes until the cheese melts. Top each serving with a tablespoon of sour cream and additional cilantro, optional. Makes about 6 servings.

6 comments:

Brumbelow Trio said...

I found this recipe randomly one day searching for ideas for my crockpot. I followed your recipe minus the scallions. My husband and i really liked it. I made it again and it just tasted even better. This has become our favorite meal. i have sent this to all my friends who love it and are sending it around to their friends(one friend shared it with her moms club). I wanted to thank you for posting such a great recipe that has now become a huge hit!

Disco Mom said...

Voila - yay, I'm so glad it is getting spread around - it really is one of the best slow cooker recipes I've found, and I have tried lots and lots of recipes. Glad you liked it!

Anonymous said...

This looks so good, I am going to make it this week

Unknown said...

This looks so good! Featured your recipe in my Food Trend article today on the RecipeLion blog. http://is.gd/QgEcu4

Anonymous said...

okay, I will give it a try

Cindy said...

This is an awesome recipe. Ive done it with ground beef too. You wont be disappointed. Thanks for sharing with the rest of us.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...