Thursday, October 23, 2008

Slow Cooker Week Day 5

I copied this one out of a magazine at a friend's house where I was babysitting. I've never made, or eaten, stuffed peppers before in my life but these just sounded good. Hazel helped me mix the filling and put them together in the afternoon and they filled the house with yummy herbal scents for a few hours. They came out beautifully. I liked them. But next time I would change a few things, like decrease the oregano which seemed a little bitter, and add a seasoning mix my palate is more familiar with like Montreal Steak seasoning. Also I used fat free feta which tasted like nothing and lacked the salty tang these needed. Chickpeas would be a yummy substitute for the canellinis, too. Totally healthy, and lots of potential.

Greek Stuffed Peppers

4 large bell peppers (any color)
1 (15 oz) can canellini beans, rinsed and drained
1 cup crumbled feta (4 oz)
1/2 cup couscous
4 scallions, white and green parts separated, thinly sliced
1 garlic clove, minced
1 tsp dried oregano
Coarse salt and ground pepper
Lemon wedges, for serving

1. Slice a very thin layer from the base of each pepper so they can sit flat. Slice off tops just below stem. Discard stems; chop tops, and place in a medium bowl. Remove rinds and seeds from peppers.

2. To bowl, add beans, feta, couscous, scallion whites, garlic and oregano. Season with salt and pepper, and toss to combine. Stuff peppers with bean mixture, and place upright in slow cooker. Cover; cook on HIGH 4 hours.

3. Sprinkle peppers with scallion greens; serve with lemon wedges.

3 comments:

cherry said...

Yum! I love stuffed peppers....my friend brought some at work--she's from Russia---and i loved it so much that i tried cooking it at home. Only her ingredients are more simple...i don't even know what a couscous is but this recipe looks even more delicious esp. with scallions on top of it. AND i have to buy a slow cooker...it's wise/convenient i guess than using the oven and wait for long hours.

kat said...

hey man -
bravo on the crockpot recipes. i need to use mine more. what are your best sources? pretty much i just do roast or cook up black beans.

Disco Mom said...

Excellent question, Kat. My "best" sources are generally not crockpot cookbooks, but other magazines and cookbooks that happen to have a crockpot recipe here or there. I know I should have sited my sources in the posts so here they are -

Greek Stuffed Peppers - Everyday Food magazine (oct 2008)
Ginger-Almond Chicken - some other magazine from the summer - either Everyday Food or Woman's Day
BBQ pulled pork - Dave & Michelle and Maren's mother in law
Tomato Black Bean Soup - "Not Your Mother's Slow Cooker Cookbook" which I had high hopes for but after trying 4 or 5 recipes and not liking them I got rid of it. Dave & Michelle had the same experience except with this needle in a haystack.
Chili Verde - Flylady.com a few years ago. She had a place on her website where readers wrote/sent in all their quick & easy slow cooker recipes and I printed the whole 6 pages or so off. I've tried quite a few but didn't love any except this one.

My friend Genevieve (more on her in Saturday's post) said all her favorites are from the little book that came with her slow cooker - imagine that! I don't know where mine is but maybe I should try to find it, or, revelation, go to the Rival website for recipes. I've never done that but it's probably an excellent source.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...