Wednesday, March 06, 2013

Ultimate Road Trip Day 2: Mesmerized by Highway Lines

I didn't sleep well last night.  Poppy started talking in her sleep at 1:30 a.m., loud enough and long enough to wake me fully, but luckily the other girls slept through.  When I closed my eyes to go back to sleep, all I could see were highway lines coming at me, like in a video game, coming faster and faster until I swerved off the road.  Over and over again.  Plus the heater was suffocating me.  I turned it down, but it was a long while before I could go back to sleep. 

Which led to a late start this morning, but we still did our best.  Patches of sunshine, our first of the trip, started to peekaboo mid-morning in Illinois.  Other than that, it was not as picturesque as yesterday, but we rocked out our license plate book.  We've spotted plates from 27 states, including Maine, Texas, and even Alaska. 

I forgot how miserable it is driving into the sun, especially at the end of a long day, and when it glares off the road.  I think my face is sunburned.  Or possibly having a reaction to the stale air of the car.  We're in Kansas tonight.  A salad at Qdoba totally hit the spot for dinner.  The girls are excited to sleep in a fold-out sofabed; I'm excited to sleep in a King!
Daily Report
Miles: 594
DVD: Muppets Treasure Island
Activity: Weaving Looms
Poppy: Tyrone doll
Special Snack: Muppets PEZ (Kermit, Animal, Miss Piggy)
High Point:  Hazel - ordering a sub and soda at Subway for lunch; Ginger - opening the surprise bag and getting root beer gummy candy at the truck stop; Poppy - playing with Tyrone on the drive; Kari - finally stopping for the night and pulling Ginger's loose tooth out!
Low Point:  Definitely driving into the glaring sun through Kansas City
Best Sign: "Keep Calm and Visit the National Churchill Museum" in Fulton, MO

2 comments:

Shells said...

How uncanny, we watched Muppets Treasure Island with our kids last night!

Shaunel said...

I've been so hoping you'd have a journal of your experience. I can't help but die laughing as I picture poppy talking in the middle of the night. How terrible, but how hilarious.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...