Wednesday, February 11, 2009

DM Enters the 21st Century

Ed and I are usually about 5 to 7 years behind the rest of the world on the acquisition of technological advancements. We say it's because we like to let the price come down and the bugs get worked out. But really we just don't keep up, and only realize we want or need things after hearing or seeing everyone we know have them. It's not a keeping-up-with-the-Joneses thing. It's a dragging-way-behind-the-Joneses thing.

This year for my birthday I received two such items, both of which I've wanted for about 5 to 7 years but never justified getting myself: an electric toothbrush (thanks Ed) and a set of Exopat silicone baking mats (thanks Maren!)

The toothbrush has taken some getting used to. I don't know why I was surprised that it vibrates my entire skull, reminiscent of a dentist drill or at least the polishing tool. I keep thinking it's going to hurt but it doesn't. What it does do is make a little stutter every 30 seconds, signaling me to move to the next quadrant for a perfectly timed and even cleaning. It also makes my teeth tongue-loving smooth. I just need to remember to put it in my mouth BEFORE turning it on to avoid splattering the mirror, my face and the entire bathroom with toothpaste. Still working on that.

The Exopats have been a much smoother adjustment. I used them the other day, and honestly I don't know what I was thinking waiting so long. No burning, no sticking, no parchment cutting. I am probably the last person on earth to realize this, but they are AMAZING!!! Why did no one push these on me before? Who let me go through 3 years of baking therapy in New York and the entire Virtual Goody Plate without them? Luckily it will never happen again.

Since you asked I did try a new cookie recipe for the maiden voyage. I'm already working on VGP '09 and I've got some winners. This time I made peanut butter banana cookies from Easy-Banana-Recipes.com. I added a few mini chocolate chips and took the liberty to rename them Elvis Cookies...because, you know, I do what I want.

Elvis Cookies

1/2 cup butter, softened
1 cup sugar
1 cup creamy peanut butter
2 eggs
1/3 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
2 ripe bananas, mashed
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
1 cup chopped peanuts, optional (I used honey roasted - yum!)
1/4 cup mini chocolate chips, optional

1. Preheat oven to 350. Line baking sheets with Exopat mats!

2. Using electric mixer, beat butter and sugar until light and creamy. Add in peanut butter, eggs, milk, and vanilla; beat until well combined.

3. Add in bananas, 1 cup flour, baking soda and salt. Mix slightly and add the rest of the flour, a cup or so at a time until just combined. Stir in chopped peanuts and chocolate chips.

4. Drop by Tablespoonfuls 2 inches apart on cookie sheet. Leave as drops or if you want, flatten slightly with a for or potato masher dipped in flour or warm water so it doesn't stick. Bake for 12 to 14 minutes until golden brown.

2 comments:

Maren said...

Oh, yay! I'm glad you like them. Yes, it's amazing how well they work. Your cookies look yummy, too. I tried something new the other day. I took the recipe for Pumpkin Harvest Bars and added both raisins and chocolate chips, plus some oatmeal, then baked them as drop cookies. They had to bake for like 20 minutes at 350, but they are yummy and not quite so guilty as regular cookies. (No butter, etc.) I'm jealous of your toothbrush!

Mia said...

Ohhhhh I love love love my toothbrush. I bet you will love yours even more over time. I know this sounds weird, but when I am on the verge of getting a sinus infection or a really severe cold my gums get tender in just one spot so I will do an extra 30 seconds of massaging my gums and it really does relieve some of the sinus pain. I did say weird right? And I wish someone had told me to put it in my mouth before I turned it on too... toothpaste in my eye for crying out loud!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...