Friday, December 05, 2008

Fine Art

Thank you for the inquiries - ok, inquiry - regarding the art over our mantel. My sister Tona complained she couldn't see it properly in the stocking pictures yesterday.
When Tona was here over the summer, right after we had moved in, I asked her what she thought we should hang there. She had the brilliant suggestion of three square frames, which we found at IKEA. We considered different things to put in them - nature photos, funky fabric, and various art. In the end, what could be better than your own art? Or, even better, your children's.

So the next few times Hazel and Ginger were at my Mom's, they joined her in the art studio, got big squares of really nice watercolor paper, their own water bowls, paints and brushes, and went to work.

Ginger did this one:

And Hazel painted these:
Hazel likes very much to tell visitors they painted them. I think they make our living room better than it could ever be with anything else in that space. And I love to sit in that room by myself, when the house is quiet, and stare at the paintings. At different times and in different light, I see things in them and imagine stories they tell. Then I think of my daughters - smart, strong, beautiful, unique - and I get warm and tingly all over, like magic.

There's no finer art on earth.

5 comments:

Jeni said...

I love it!!! Such a great idea

The Gardener said...

I see Geckos.

Mia said...

The paintings are really beautiful and I love the idea of showcasing their special work.

kat said...

those pictures are great. i love the square frames. the colors the girls used are excellent. now i know what do to with all that watercolor paper i have that i will never paint on. . .

Lindsay said...

That. Is. Awesome.

And now I'm super eager for the days when Garrett takes crayon/paint/whathaveyou to paper without getting distracted after about 5 seconds of it. (Because, seriously...our wall decor needs help.)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...