Sachertorte is a famous Austrian cake - it is layers of chocolate sponge cake spread between and on top with apricot jam, then coated with a thick layer of velvety chocolate. Not bad, right? These brownies have a closely-related European flair, with the addition of a hazelnut pastry on the bottom. They are totally sweet, totally rich and unbelievably fabulous! As always, use the best quality chocolate you can. And I bet raspberry jam would be a yummy variation!
1/2 cup butter, softened
3/4 cup sifted powdered sugar
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/2 cup hazelnuts, toasted and finely ground
3/4 cup apricot preserves
1/2 cup butter
3 oz. unsweetened chocolate
1 egg yolk
1 cup granulated sugar
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup all purpose flour
3 oz. semisweet chocolate, melted
1 oz. white chocolate, melted
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Line a 9x13 baking pan with foil and grease it. Set aside.
2. For the crust, in a small bowl beat 1/2 cup soft butter and powdered sugar with an electric mixer on medium until combined. Beat in the 3/4 cup flour and ground nuts. Pat mixture into prepared pan. Bake in preheated oven for 12 minutes. Cool in pan on wire rack.
3. In a blender or food processor, cover and blend/process preserves until smooth. Spread pureed preserves over the baked crust and chill for 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile, in a small saucepan cook and stir the 1/2 cup butter and unsweetened chocolate over med-low heat until melted and smooth. Remove from heat and cool 10 minutes. In a medium mixing bowl beat the egg, egg yolk, granulated sugar, and salt with an electric mixer on medium speed for 5 minutes. Beat in melted chocolate mixture and vanilla. Stir in the 1/2 cup flour. Carefully spread over chilled preserves layer.
5. Bake in the 350-degree oven for 20 minutes more. Cool in pan on a wire rack. Using the foil, lift the brownies out of the pan. Carefully peel the foil from the sides of the brownies. Spread the top with the melted semisweet chocolate. Drizzle white chocolate over semisweet layer. Swirl with a toothpick if desired. Let brownies stand while chocolate sets. Cut into bars. To store: Cover and store in the fridge for up to 3 days or freeze for up to 3 months.