Saturday, March 20, 2010

My Awesome House: Girls' Room

Until recently, the girls have been sleeping on mattresses on the floor. Hazel has a twin and Ginger was using the crib mattress. We never even bothered to assemble the crib after we moved in May because we were planning on getting the girls bunk beds "soon." So they just slept on the floor and we all got used to it. But Spanky's arrival is approaching, and we will need the crib, including the mattress, for her. What better time to make good on our 9-month-old promise of bunk beds?

I did do my research. I wasn't overly picky but I did look at a lot of sets, both online and in stores. I figured if there are ones I like more than others, we might as well get one of those. So we did. At first both girls wanted to sleep on top so we alternated nights, which worked well, although one night we found them like this:I thought we might have to alternate forever but after a week or so the novelty wore off and Ginger preferred to stay on the bottom. The top has become Hazel's haven, and we find her up there almost every morning surrounded by books and dolls, deep in her own imaginary world. Sometimes Ginger still naps up there for fun, but mostly she just likes to climb onto her bed through the ladder.With new beds came the urge to stock a few sets of matching sheets. With matching sheets came the desire for pretty quilts. Mom and I conspired and made simple reversible tied quilts out of two of my favorite fabrics. Cute throw pillows were pure indulgence on my part. All we needed now was an area rug to pull it together. It's not like there was one main color or theme working in the room so I needed something cute, classy and fairly multicolored. Thank you, Land of Nod.When we first moved in, the girls' room was a pale yellow that I liked. But I painted one wall Pale Avocado for some depth. And hired my artist cousin Katy to paint a dandelion on it for whimsy. I think the overall effect is PERFECT.For once in 8 years of marriage, and really 17 years of adult living (and mostly renting), I have a real, honest-to-goodness, pulled-together room I am truly, profoundly proud of. And I'm so glad I got pictures because that is cleanest it will probably ever be.One awesome room down, oh-so-many to go.

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Love it! Well done.

Celeste Elaine said...

I'm not sure what magazine it was, but every couple of months or so, we used to get a catalogue with pictures of kids bedrooms, accessories, and comforters/quilts. Jenny and I would look through it, ooo and aaah, and sometimes even cut out our favorites and make houses for our paper dolls. Those cool rooms were my DREAM.

I just have one thing to say. Can I be a little girl in your house? I'd LOVE that room.

Shells said...

That room looks very awesome. I still remember my sister falling off the top bunk of our bunk beds as a kid and all the trauma that caused, so I have a hard time letting my kids up on the top bunk, even with all the railing. Yours looks super safe though!

Our family said...

Super darling!!

Marie W said...

GORGEOUS bedspreads! I am loving the whole room.

Has your nesting given you enough energy to redo my kids' room? We've just inherited what used to be my bunk bed (which my Dad made, and I have ALWAYS loved). The plan is to have Spencer and Emma share a room when Snicket (as he is lovingly called) makes his arrival and is ready to move into his own space. Do you think there is any hope for choosing fabrics that would work for a boy on top bunk, a girl on bottom bunk, and still look cute together? I'm feeling stumped.

Lindsay said...

Wow, Kari! That room looks great! I especially love the dandelion on the wall - so awesome.

Bunk beds are the way to go. We figured that with two boys, we might as well invest in a set now. No one sleeps on the top yet, but Garrett loves to climb up and play up there. Our beds have the two drawers underneath, too. Best thing ever. I love tucked away storage. :)

Jeni said...

Looks fabulous! Wanna come do my boy's room! j/k! we have been meaning to do that to their room but have yet to get it together! Great job!

kat said...

LOVE the fabrics, LOVE LOVE LOVE the pillows, totally LOVE the area rug, LOVE the wall art the most. so cute.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...