Friday, August 30, 2013

PeeWees: The Tale of Peter Rabbit (week 1)

From PeeWee mom Julia...

 
We started outside in the garden. I knew it was going to be hot so I wanted to do as much as possible outside before it became unbearable.  But we ended up spending most of our time outside because they were so happy out there and Abigail was so happily asleep inside.

Our garden work came first. I had a big pile of new soil for them to dig in and fill their planting cups while I took each one one-at-a-time through the lettuce patch and had them help me cut. We came out with four good sized bags of lettuce that their families "needed." But let's be honest, cutting lettuce with me wasn't nearly as interesting as piling dirt with their friends. Once we had enough dirt in our cups and on ourselves, we planted our bean seeds. Each cup should have at least 2 seeds in it so hopefully at least one will germinate for you! Then we talked about how each plant needs three things: soil (dirt), water, and sunlight. So we had to water our plants after that. They should be able to tell you that their plants need sunlight and can't grow in the basement with no sun.

We gathered on the trampoline for circle time: counting seeds and reading the whole story of Peter Rabbit. We talked about whether he was a good bunny or a naughty bunny and then we had to go on a hunt for Peter Rabbit's missing clothing: his blue jacket and shoes. I'd "hidden" a blue jacket and a pair of shoes in the yard and they went looking. It didn't take long for them to find them!






Abigail was still asleep at this point so we stayed outside for some hopping bunny games, first on the sidewalk, then on the driveway with the hopscotch, and then on the trampoline. It was absolutely hilarious to watch them do their very best to hop on one foot. I taught them how to play hopscotch and their various efforts to only put one foot on the single boxes were really funny. I was really impressed, though, that some of them could do a hop or two on one foot!
 
 
 
Then we came in to clean up, have snack, and do art. Snack was carrots (of course) and the "meal" that Peter's siblings get to have the night that he only gets to go to bed: bread, milk, and blackberries.
Everyone but Jackson drank A LOT of milk. Poppy and Henry ate all the blackberries because Bodie and Jackson didn't want any-- I was shocked since I'm a huge berry fan myself.
 

Then we made bunny art. I had all the materials set out for each one and a q-tip with glue for them to do it pretty much themselves. I did add a bit of glue here and there to help things like the button stick
but other than that help they did them independently. they told me where to staple the ears and where the eyes were to go. I had a sample one for them to look at and the different variations were pretty
awesome.

 

Abigail was STILL asleep (bless her!), so we headed back outside for a rousing game of "Bunny Says"-- think Simon Says. They didn't quite get it that they weren't supposed to do what I said if I didn't say "Bunny Says" so basically I was the leader for several turns and then they each had a turn being the "big bunny." I was pleased that, after a few tries, they started to think of commands that were different from the ones I'd done.

To finish off we did some bunny hopping on the trampoline, reviewed the book, and then had one more bathroom run and our final chant. It was a great day. More to come next week!


No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...