Wednesday, September 26, 2007

Investment Banking: from the Trenches

After two grueling years, and especially since returning from vacation, we're really hating the demands of Ed's job on a whole new level. Occasionally quit notices and other pieces of "humor" get forwarded and emailed around "the street" (=Wall Street). Here are some of the latest:


Here is one creative way an analyst quit, in the case study format he was no doubt sick of:
And here is the text of an email Ed forwarded to me, a first-year analyst who saw the light only a few months after starting (I deleted names just in case):

----- Original Message -----
From:
To:
Cc:
Sent: Sun Sep 16 07:02:32 2007
Subject: Sorry everyone

I'm leaving the bank now.

I'm not made to do this. If I put my mind to something as much as I do here to mindless text editing, copy and pasting, and getting yelled at for stuff other people can't/won't/don't do, I would be much better off. It's 6:43 a.m. on a Sunday, and I have at least 14 more hours of work to do today that will not be fulfilling, useful, appreciated, recognized, or paid for.

Sorry this is last minute, but it's just not worth doing more

My blackberry is on my desk

Apparently that failed staffing request was fatal (no, not as in I'm
going to kill myself, hehe, I'm just going to go enjoy life). There is
no happiness here.

I took all my personal stuff. No one needs to contact me for anything
(except for a drink for those of you with my personal number). I will
only be at my New York address a few days longer.

Good luck y'all,

(Signature)

P.S. I'll be waiting for some smart-ass associate to send a
"best-practice e-mail for how to quit properly".

Well isn't that encouraging? Just in case you needed more dissuading from going into IB.

4 comments:

kat said...

funny - and not so 'funny ha ha.' the rog and i were just talking the other night about the book 'liar's poker'
http://www.amazon.com/Liars-Poker-Rising-Through-Wreckage/dp/0140143459/ref=pd_bbs_sr_1/105-6640311-8282841?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1190839027&sr=8-1

i read it when i was 'not dating - dating' a stock trader. he said it was pretty accurate.

and again - that's why you need to come to colorado! not that roger likes his job any better these days, but at least he doesn't have to be there as much as eddie! :)

Anonymous said...

At least now the end is in sight, even if it seems really distant at the moment.

Therese said...

this sounds oh-so-painfully familiar. i'm forwarding your post to alan.

Mia said...

Good luck to the both of you! At least you are still trying to find the humor in it all :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...